16 LOCAL CHARITIES AND ADVISORS JOIN NATIONAL EFFORT TO URGE CANADIANS TO LEAVE A GIFT TO CHARITY IN THEIR WILLS WHILE STILL SUPPORTING LOVED ONES
16 advisors and charitable organizations in the Saskatoon region have joined with more than 500 charities, financial advisors and legal professionals from across Canada for the launch of Will Power™, a national public education effort designed to show Canadians the power they have to make a difference with their Wills. Campaign organizers anticipate that if enough Canadians join the effort and leave a charitable gift in their Will, as much as $40 billion dollars could be pledged in the next 10 years for important social causes in our communities.
The national participation rate for charitable giving through Wills in Canada is currently 5 percent. The goal of the Will Power™ campaign is to increase it to 8.5 per cent by 2030. There are more than 20 countries around the world with similar campaigns aimed at inspiring their public to leave gifts in Wills to charity.
Research conducted by the Canadian Association of Gift Planners (CAGP) Foundation shows that 86% of Canadians are aware they can leave a charitable gift in a Will, but more than 60% choose not to because they believe it would take away from their loved ones. But it’s not an either/or proposition – everyone can leave a gift to charity while still taking care of those they love most.
Melissa Mann, CAGP NorthSask Chapter Chair commented, “It may come as a surprise that even 1% left to charity in a Will can make an enormous impact on a cause that is close to your heart while still leaving 99% of a person’s estate for their family. Leaving a small portion of an estate to charity could result in a bigger contribution than most people would ever think possible, while still supporting those they love.”
“I encourage everyone to visit the Will Power™ website to get tips on estate planning, calculate your potential gift, or contact a financial or legal advisor to take that next step. You can search for the individual charities or advisor’s Will Power pages at www.willpower.ca. Each page will provide information on how charitable bequests are typically used, and you can discover advisors in your area that can help you plan for future gifts.” (Trina Mortson, Will Power Chapter Lead)
About CAGP and the CAGP Foundation
Will Power™ is a campaign of the CAGP Foundation in partnership with the CAGP. The CAGP Foundation aims to financially support the development and promotion of excellence in charitable gift planning in Canada; CAGP is a national professional association that brings together charitable fundraisers and advisors advancing strategic charitable giving in their communities. Both organizations believe that we can build a better world by putting the power of philanthropy in the hands of many more Canadians, through gifts in wills and other types of strategic giving. Find out more at www.cagp-acpdp.org.
Local Charities on Will Power website
Big Brothers Big Sisters Saskatoon – willpower.ca/charities/big-brothers-big-sisters-saskatoon/
Elmwood Residences – willpower.ca/charities/elmwood-residences/
Kinsmen Telemiracle – willpower.ca/charities/kinsmen-telemiracle/
Meewasin Valley Authority – willpower.ca/charities/meewasin-valley-authority/
Micah Mission– willpower.ca/charities/micah-mission/
READ Saskatoon– willpower.ca/charities/read-saskatoon/
Royal University Hospital Foundation– willpower.ca/charities/royal-university-hospital-foundation/
Saskatchewan Polytechnic– willpower.ca/charities/saskatchewan-polytechnic/
Saskatoon City Hospital Foundation- willpower.ca/charities/saskatoon-city-hospital-foundation/
Saskatoon Community Foundation- willpower.ca/charities/saskatoon-community-foundation/
Saskatoon Council on Aging- willpower.ca/charities/saskatoon-council-on-aging/
Saskatoon SPCA– www.willpower.ca/charities/saskatoon-spca/
Shakespeare on the Saskatchewan Festival Inc– willpower.ca/charities/shakespeare-on-the-saskatchewan-festival-inc/
Waskesiu Foundation- www.willpower.ca/charities/waskesiu-foundation/
Local Professional Advisors on Will Power website
Assante Wealth Management: Jay Stark – willpower.ca/advisors/jay-stark/
Connor Clark & Lunn Private Capital: Shane Biehn – willpower.ca/advisors/shane-biehn/